There be pictures here!

There be pictures here!
Darksiders II

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Opening Thoughts on Batman: Arkham City

After getting a disgustingly amazing deal on Arkham city and Skyward Sword on black Friday (got them both new for 70 bucks somehow along with some wii cords) I played around with both of them a bit and decided that I would work my way through Arkham city first. This post will basically be my opening thoughts on the game and things that stuck out to me.

The first thing I want to say is that I freaking love the design of the Arkham City world. It is visually amazing and quite large...and covered in Riddler signs. It has been quite a while since I've played Arkham Asylum but if I remember correctly it is a relatively open world and there is definitely a feel of freedom but it is nothing compared to having an entire city to roam around at your leisure (there might be consequences for my slacking later, who knows). So there is a cool city to explore and tool around in when you want to avoid the main missions but whats the point? Well they added a ton, and I mean a ton of various groups of inmates all over the city for you to practice your combat skills or just grind through levels on. Another thing that the city offers is a plethora of side quests that become available to you either randomly or get reported to you after completing certain missions as well as a chance to meet some of the other supervillains in the Batman universe, which brings me to my next point.

Arkham City contains essentially every villain ever and you're able to interact with some of them on a non-threatening level (Such as Bane) as well as hunt various killers down (Such as Riddler, Deadshot, Zsassz). Each villain will have particular quests you can do the hunt them down or help them out. Zsassz has you chase his calls around the city in a timed race-type missions and Bane asks you to help destroy the remaining Titan containers which are typically well guarded.

The Combat: The combat in Arkham City is great, it uses the same type of mechanics as the first game except it allows you even more freedom and I'm sure there is even more that I haven't discovered yet since I'm not very far into the game (Trying to find Freeze right now).

What I didn't like: I found myself having a bit more trouble ambushing guards as easily as Arkham Asylum, this might be due to a lack of perks or something but even the basic takedowns seem a bit spotty to me. Perhaps I just haven't gotten the hang of it quite yet but it is becoming increasingly difficult to deal with armed opponents and since I am playing on hard mode from the start it essentially means death if I am detected by two or more armed opponents.

Summary: I love the city, the combat, the movement, the gadgets, the characters, and all the side missions. I'll just need to give my silent takedowns some extra practice.


Thanks for reading, more to come after I've completed the game!


Edit: I'm alright with the takedowns now...the game has become more fun :D

0 comments:

Post a Comment