There be pictures here!

There be pictures here!
Darksiders II

Thursday, February 2, 2012

A First Look: Resident Evil: Revelations (3DS)


Photobucket
Hey Team Infestation Fans, the name's Stack and I'm back after a long hiatus from writing things as it made my brain hurt....Well besides that, I am happy to be able to give you my opinions regarding a game I have been looking forward to for some time now.

Being an avid Resident Evil fan since the first one came out back in 1996, jolting out of my seat everytime I saw a zombie and running for my mother (Yeah, I was pretty young). Anyway, this year is a huge one for the RE franchise with games and movies coming out like crazy. So, as any devoted fan would, I jacked my friend's 3DS and gave the new Resident Evil Revelations Demo a go.

Now I know Resident Evil games haven't been fantasic for handheld platforms in the past so many people were hoping for something a little more polished in the future. For example: Resident Evil: Deadly Silence,with its awful camera angles and sub-par script left a lot to be desired, especially for a series with such a good track record as the Resident Evil series. So even I was a bit skeptical about Revelations. But, somewhat to my surprise, as soon as I turned on the demo the opening conversations drew me in and the nostalgia swept over me. The first thing that people will notice about Resident Evil: Revelations are its amazing graphics. This handheld sports visuals comparable, and possibly even better than, Resident Evil 5. The game opens with a classic Resident Evil character, Jill Valentine, who wakes up unable to remember how she got there, with that familiar eerie tone that made me think of a certain mansion. I couldn't believe how I felt walking through the first room feeling like danger could leap out from anywhere, anytime. After finding my way into further rooms, discovering how the smaller puzzles and new gadgets worked I ran into the first, shall I say "monster." A loud noise from the previous room had me creeping towards the hall, nervously. I didn't know what to expect. Now, I am no veteran of handheld gaming as I don't do much on them, so I was pretty sketchy with the controls. But as this creature started lumbered towards me I learned pretty darn quick with what precious ammo I had. I aimed and fired, taking me into first person for the shooting. This was an amazing improvement to the game as opposed to always shooting from an over the shoulder style or with a weird camera angle that has always bugged me, as well as many other gamers. The 3DS' capabilities enhanced this intense scene and made it seem that this monster was even closer or, dare I say, coming right at me. Needless to say, the old nervous feelings causing me to soil myself came creeping back, as the lumbering monstrosity made its way toward me. More and more of these terrors came out of the woodwork then I foolishly ran out of ammo (due to my lack of skillz). Knifing was still an awful idea since being anywhere close to a zombie means its an open buffet at Jill's neck. After getting munched on until all the blood seemed to be drained from Jill's body, for some reason felt kinda responsible, she dropped to the floor as dead as dead can be.

As I stared at the Game Over screen I found myself wanting more. "I WANT! ME NEED!" kept flashing in my mind. If this was only a taste of what the game has in store, my mind is blown. I'm so excited for what is to come in this game, bridging the gap between the events of Resident Evil 4 and 5. I completely recommend this game to anyone who loves the original series as it plays on those nostalgic heartstrings that RE fans all seem to have.

Look for the official US release on February 7th!

Thanks for reading!

-Stack

0 comments:

Post a Comment