There be pictures here!

There be pictures here!
Darksiders II

Saturday, February 4, 2012

A First Look: Asura's Wrath


Keeping with the trend of taking a peek at the upcoming 2012 titles I decided to download a couple demos, which happened to include a game I've been pretty excited for since seeing the reveal trailer some time ago, Asura's Wrath.

Not kidding.
This is not your run of the mill game, like not even close, I mean really, REALLY out in left field. Why is that? Oh I don't know...but the demo involves me punching a giant fat guy to death. By giant I of course mean roughly twice the size of Earth.

I have to give the developers credit for their astoundingly creative ideas. I mean I have certainly had enough of fighting people the same size as me, what fun is that? I am clearly too awesome to demean myself with fighting people sized baddies. Now I expect every game I play in the future to include one boss that is the size of the planet. Step it up people.
(sort of sarcastic....maybe?)

Urf.
The demo consists of two parts, first one was the planet sized baddie as pictured above, which sorta blew my mind, the next was a fight with some regular sized guy who looks like Asura. My trip from fighting a planet sized behemoth is over! Time to have a normal boss fight! Wrong. It's time to go to the moon and have an epic battle with a dude with a sword! He kind of kicks your ass most of the time but at least it looks cool when he makes his sword extend, impales you, and then rams you back down to Earth. Then, as if ramming you through the atmosphere wasn't badass enough for this guy, he impales the entire planet for good measure. I felt like I was watching an episode of Dragon Ball Z where everyone turned red instead of yellow. Awesome.

Enough about the over the top stuff, lets talk about the gameplay. Unfortunately the demo did not feature much average combat and instead decided to show us two boss fights. From what I can gather from other videos; the one vs. many combat plays like a hack n' slash ramped up to epic proportions with a lot of, for lack of a better term, quick-time events. I know QTEs bring up some bitter emotions for people but these are at least a little better if not just because they involve you doing extremely over the top finishers on bosses or blowing up hordes of lil' baddies. The actions they have you do on the controller also correspond to Asura's movements in the game which is a nice touch that makes it feel less arbitrary. For example, when preparing to intercept the poke-o-doom from the big fat guy, the game has you plant Asura's feet by flicking each analogue stick to the side. At least it isn't the infamous "press x to not die" type of QTE.

A lot of the game is cinematic, for sure, but that doesn't mean you can just sit back and watch. Even the cutscenes that aren't combat related give you the option to "Shut _____ up" which causing the dialogue to skip due to Asura launching himself at his opponent. This provides a bit of a new dimension for how you'll experience the game and just how much crap you want to put up with from your condescending opponents. The Wyzen fight (big fat guy) gives you very little control over Asura's movement, aside from strafing left and right while dashing towards Wyzen. Will this lack of control serve to bolster the gameplay or hinder it? Time will tell, it's hard to give my honest opinion right now since I really did enjoy what they showed me but I could also see it getting kind of old if that's what every fight is. We shall see how things pan out.

I know I've used the phrase "over the top" a couple times in this particular write-up but you know, that's exactly what this game is. Every aspect of it has taken the step up to absolutely, impossibly, amazingly, epic. It destroys what we thought was epic before and replaces it with mind-blowing, planet-impaling goodness. I am excited to see how else Asura's Wrath shocks me when it releases on the 21st of February, be sure to check it out! Thanks for reading.


-Fest

P.S.
Come at me bro.

0 comments:

Post a Comment