There be pictures here!

There be pictures here!
Darksiders II

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Bodycount Review

Well I don't have too much to say about this FPS aside from well, its different...? Bodycount didn't really click with me and I typically enjoy hectic first person shooters and from the scores it received from multiple other reviewers I don't think it really "clicked" with many people at all. I'll still evaluate the good and bad as objectively as I can while offering some insight of my own.

The Good: Fast paced, lots of enemies, ability to shred through most terrain, somewhat imaginative transitions between levels/enemy types.
The Bad: Clunky controls, poor aiming system, almost non-existent story (somewhat typical of shooters in general), limited array of weapons to choose from.

I really hate bashing games in general just because I know someone put a lot of time and effort into making it and I really do love all kinds of games but my honest opinion of Bodycount is not a very good one. I couldn't really bring myself to play the whole game through, partially due to not wanting to and partly due to college life being busy. But from what I did play of Bodycount I found the controls to be quite unresponsive...to clarify what I mean by that, I love to get headshots and move with precision in my playing of shooters and Bodycount encourages a more "spray bullets at all dem dudes" kind of style which really doesn't revolve around tactical positioning and aiming but rather running and gunning. Bodycount's main advertised quality was its destructible terrain and the idea that there is "nowhere to hide" but typically in any given environment you'll be able to find at least something to take cover behind, such as a cement wall or steel pipe (bullets did not seem to work at all on these more solid obstacles). However when you try to take cover within houses or other various areas you are vulnerable to attack from outside enemies or enemies within the same building but in a different adjacent room. I didn't find this aspect of the game to be particularly appealing or really do anything specific for the gameplay other than make it so you take extra stray bullets every so often.

As the game progresses you receive random upgrades as you complete levels which you can activate on the fly as the special gauge refills over time. A few examples are adrenaline which makes you impervious to bullets for some reason, and explosive rounds which increase your damage against all targets. Theses upgrades are given to you unceremoniously, you don't have to find them or buy them or really do anything at all. The weapon system works in the same way as you receive a new one or two after each level. This takes a bit of the fun out of games like this as it makes it so you don't have to work for any of the upgrades they are just dolled out to you like cheap candy from a questionable van.

I didn't find time to give the multiplayer a try but I felt that the game's mechanics wouldn't support a very entertaining experience in a competitive environment like that. That just about wraps up what my experience was with Bodycount, I remain unimpressed and a little agitated.

Next week I'll be talking about either Dead Island, Disgaea 4, White Knight Chronicles 2, or one of the other games on my gamefly queue.

Thanks for reading

-Fest

0 comments:

Post a Comment